Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Aug 20 Thu - Should I allow discouragement when difficulties crop up?


 

Aug 20 Thu

Should I allow discouragement when difficulties crop up?

The Lord was transfigured before the three Apostles; his face shone like the sun, and his garments became white as light. And there appeared to them Moses and Elijah, talking with him. 

God wanted to use this incident to strengthen the Apostles' faith. Our Lord openly showed his glory in the presence of his chosen ones, so that his disciples would not be scandalized when He dies on the cross. God works this wonder to hearten the Apostles and encourage them on the difficult path ahead. They still need special care, like a small child who has to be coaxed by gifts to take the medicine that will cure him.

On each Christian's path, purification is necessary to attain contemplation. We have to persevere in our efforts to love God day in and day out, even though we may not feel like it and might even think we are being hypocritical.

If we ever suffer this temptation, we should recall what St. Josemaría always taught us: “I don't mind telling you that the Lord has, on occasion, given me many graces. But as a rule, I have had to go against the grain. I follow my plan, not because I like it, but because I've a duty to do so, for Love."

'But, Father', you ask me, 'can one put on an act for God? Wouldn't that be hypocritical?'
“Don't worry: for you the moment has arrived to play out a human comedy before a divine spectator. Persevere, for the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit are contemplating your act; do it all for love of God, to please him, although you find it hard."

We should see difficulties as an ordinary feature of our lives. They shouldn't surprise us. If we did not come up against obstacles, we would not be creatures of flesh and blood. Besides, we know very well that all who desire to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted. Without difficulties, without struggle, there would be no victory. An athlete does not receive the prize unless he makes a real effort.

Rather than discouraging us, the setbacks and adversities we face should serve as an added spur to our inner growth. For if –with the help of God's grace– we overcome them, we sanctify ourselves, and everything we do gains in depth and scope.

“If there were no difficulties, things would have neither human nor supernatural value. If a nail which is being hammered into a wall meets with no resistance, what can I hang on it?" We should expect to find resistance both within ourselves and from outside, if we are to accomplish ourselves and bear fruit.

We must always expect to encounter obstacles, because the goal that God has set for us is very high; it is supernatural. “It's hard! Yes, I know. But, forward! No one will be rewarded –and what a reward– except those who fight bravely."