Friday, July 7, 2023


 July 7 Fri
Why should we examine our conscience, daily? To discover the small faults that hold us back from total service to God and souls. We love our Lord, and we desire to love him more every day. But those desires are not enough. Love means deeds! Our love has to make sure that our soul's desires are matched by our actions.

This is why we struggle, and this is why we need the examination of conscience. It is indispensable. If we neglect our examination of conscience out of laziness, small infidelities, mistakes and evil inclinations multiply like weeds in our soul, without any reaction from us.

Make a brief examination of conscience before going to rest at night. Two or three minutes are enough. Follow these steps:

•    Place yourself in the presence of God recognizing his strength and your weakness. Tell him: “Lord, if you will, you can make me clean.”

•    Ask your guardian angel for light to acknowledge your defects and virtues.

•    Examine your conscience with sincerity: What have I done wrong? What have I done right? What could I have done better?
Did I often consider that God is my Father? Did I offer him my work? Did I make good use of my time? Did I pray slowly and with attention?
Did I try to make life pleasant for other people? Did I criticize anyone? Was I forgiving? Did I pray and offer some sacrifices for the Church, the Pope and for all those around me?
Did I allow myself to be carried away by sensuality? By pride?

•    Sorrow. Make an act of contrition asking our Lord’s pardon.

•    Resolution. Make a small specific resolution for tomorrow, like: Staying away from certain temptations.
Avoiding some specific faults.
Exerting special effort to practice some virtue.
Taking advantage of occasions for improvement.

•    Pray three Hail Marys to the Virgin Mary asking for the virtue of purity for yourself and your loved ones.

ACT OF CONTRITION: O my God, I am heartily sorry for having offended you and I detest all my sins, because I dread the loss of heaven and the pains of hell; but most of all because they offend you, my God, who are all good and deserving of all my love. I firmly resolve, with the help of your grace, to confess my sins, to do penance, and to amend my life. Amen.