Friday, March 15, 2024

Mar 16 Sat - Dealing with Jesus affectionately, despite our sins

 

Mar 16 Sat
Dealing with Jesus affectionately, despite our sins. From the moment Jesus enters Simon's home, events unfold quickly. Our Lord, by his words to the sinful woman, shows his great mercy. The dinner guests are confused and surprised. Thus, they did not notice that the host had overlooked the traditional forms of hospitality.

But Jesus has noticed Simon's negligence. His words express complaint, a mild reproach for Simon's lukewarm reception. He tells a short parable; then turning toward the woman he said to Simon, "Do you see this woman? I entered your house, you gave me no water for my feet, but she has wet my feet with her tears and wiped them with her hair. You gave me no kiss, but from the time I came in she has not ceased to kiss my feet. You did not anoint my head with oil, but she has anointed my feet with ointment."

"Do you see? There's a hint of sadness in Christ's voice: I entered your house… you gave me no water for my feet... Our Lord, who when it's a matter of suffering for the salvation of souls, sets no limits to his suffering, now misses the signs of affection, courtesy and consideration at Simon's house, and reproaches him for it. What do you think? … Does Jesus not have any reason to reproach you and me?"

It's a good moment to examine our conscience: "When a stranger looks on us indifferently, it doesn't matter much; but when someone we love treats us coldly, how much pain their behavior gives us! Aren't your negligence and haste in prayer, your carelessness and roughness going to grieve Jesus?"

Simon's discourtesy is offset by this poor woman, who is moved by love. By God's infinite goodness, her sincere tears and deeds of repentance obtain the remission of her sins. Jesus, who has still not ended his discussion with Simon, finishes his lesson: "Therefore I tell you, her sins, which are many, are forgiven, for she loved much; but he who is forgiven little, loves little."

When faced with our own frailties, we can take to heart St. Josemaría’s words: "Jesus has forgiven me my multitude of sins - what generosity! - despite my ingratitude. And if this woman was forgiven much because she loved much, then you, and I, since we too have been forgiven much, are left with a great debt of love. Jesus, grant us a love that knows no limits, even to the point of heroism! With your grace, Lord, even if it were to cost me my life, I won't abandon you."

Our Lord expects us to treat him affectionately, despite our sins. The effect of contrition is interior peace, serene joy. Our Lord always forgives us, he knows the poor clay we are made of!"

Video: