Sunday, August 4, 2024

Aug 5 Mon - Mary, Untier of Knots (Undoer of Knots).

 

Aug 5 Mon
Mary, Untier of Knots (Undoer of Knots). St. Irenaeus (born ca. A.D. 130) wrote about the Incarnation of Christ: “Luke, commencing the genealogy with the Lord, carried it back to Adam, indicating that it was He who regenerated them into the Gospel of life, and not they Him. And thus, also it was that the knot of Eve's disobedience was loosed by the obedience of Mary. For what the virgin Eve had bound fast through unbelief, this did the virgin Mary set free through faith.”

The devotion to Our Lady as one who "unties knots" has its deep origins in this truth. Eve, the mother of all born, sinned and tempted her husband. What Eve knotted up, Mary loosens (EVA becomes AVE).

The painting depicts the Virgin surrounded by angels and standing on a serpent, as foretold in Genesis 3:15. In her hands, she holds a knotted ribbon which she patiently untangles.

In English, Our Lady in this style is known as "Untier of Knots," "Undoer of Knots," "Mary who Unties the Knots". She is always there, as your Mother, to help you "untie the knots" present in your life – the problems that harass and trouble you, the sins that hold you back, the addictions that plague you.

Pray to her:
Mother of Fair Love, Mother who never refuses to come to the aid of a child in need, Mother whose hands never cease to assist your beloved children, cast your compassionate eyes upon me and untie the snarl of knots that exist in my life.

You know very well how desperate I am, my pain and how I am bound by these knots. Mary, Mother to whom God entrusted the undoing of the knots in the lives of His children, I entrust into your hands the tangled ribbon of my life. No one, not even the evil one himself, can take my life away from your precious care. In your hands there is no knot that cannot be undone.

Powerful Mother, by your grace and intercessory power with your Son, Jesus, take into your hands today this knot (mention your intentions). I beg you to undo it for the glory of God.

O my Lady, you are the only consolation God gives me. My hope is in you, the strengthening of my feeble strength, the enrichment of my destitution, and through Christ, the freedom from my chains. Hear my plea. Keep me, guide me, protect me, O safe refuge! Mary, Undoer of Knots, pray for me. Amen.

Video: